I volunteer at NARIKA by watching the kids in childcare. I volunteer mainly because I love to play with the kids, but also because all the different cultures there make it such an interesting place full of experiences, and the members and staff make the community there so great.
Narika volunteers are the backbone of our organization, and help us with our crucial work. Together, we can create positive change in our community and enable people to lead healthy and happy lives.
How can you help?
Narika welcomes and encourages committed individuals to apply as volunteers. Volunteer opportunities can either be short term or long term, and local to Northern California, or remote. Volunteers can help with fundraising, marketing, outreach, event planning/coordination, volunteer recruitment, client advocacy, administrative help, and much more.
We ask that volunteers commit for at least a one year volunteership period, and four hours per month.
Please fill out the volunteer application and our volunteer coordinator will be in touch with you soon!
- In-Office: on the weekdays, we can always use volunteer help in our office location. These positions are for energetic individuals who are happy pitching in with anything from designing flyers to reorganizing our inventory.
- Community Outreach and Education: Narika is often requested to be at community events and to share our message and work with the community. We need volunteers to staff our information tables, recruit new volunteers, and represent Narika. Past events have included San Francisco Yoni Ki Baat performances and at the Fremont gurdwara.
- Self-Empowerment and Economic Development (SEED): Our SEED sessions are taught by trained volunteer instructors who know about our population and can donate their time to help recent immigrants gain economic independence. In addition to needing volunteer instructors, we also need session volunteers who will support smaller groups of participants, and childcare volunteers who can watch the children of our participants during the sessions (usually on the weekends) contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
- Helpline and Survivor Support: Each year, Narika fields over 1000 calls and emails requesting assistance for South Asian survivors of domestic violence. We couldn’t do this without dedicated helpline volunteers who connect with clients, answer their questions, and support them on court accompaniments and obtaining needed services to move on with their lives. Contact email@example.com if interested.
- Events and Fundraising: Narika has one gala fundraiser per year, along with many smaller events such as happy hours and partnerships with other organizations. Volunteers can staff events, lead planning processes, and solicit donations from local organizations for raffle prizes and giveaways.
- Remote Opportunities: Even if you can’t come to our office or events, we can still use your help! Some remote opportunities include website design, social media management, calling our partners, and publicizing our events and programs in your community.